Monday 16 July 2012

The importance of an Apprentice

This is a bit of a personal entry now, but I think its important to showcase the opportunity of hiring an Apprentice as part of the workforce within a company.  

In late 2009, aged 18, I decided to leave University for personal reasons. From here, I decided to apply for an NVQ through the Shropshire Council after meeting with my local connexions officer and digging through my options on what to do next.

 After a meeting with my advisor at the council where I was interviewed thoroughly, I left my trust within the team’s hands to find my suitable placement, waiting anxiously to hear back from them.

 Just before the New Year, I received the good news that I had an interview with a local environment consultancy within the town. During the interview, I had to show off my computer skills by searching for appropriate travel and accommodation as requested.

 From here, I was asked if I could work a week in January within the consultancy to see if I fit the job criteria. I really enjoyed this week as it gave me a real insight into what the job entailed, along with meeting and conversing with some of the staff.

 Before the week ended, I was delighted to be asked if I would like to join the team and work on a 9 to 5 basis receiving a weekly Apprentice wage whilst completing the NVQ in Business Administration.

 From January to September that year, I worked Monday to Friday whilst attending college once a fortnight. An assessor also visited me every few weeks at the office to check my progress and to helped me to complete my NVQ. This was done through recorded conversations, observation, gathering evidence, presentational tasks and knowledge questionnaires.

 Within this time, my job equipped me with the correct skills to progress within my job role as administrative assistant and supporter to the Green Achiever scheme through communicating with others which has built up my confidence. I also developed my organisational skills, writing and researching technique and time keeping capability.

 Since completing my NVQ and achieving a pass at level 2, I was asked to stay on in the office part time for two days a week whilst attending Wolverhampton University studying a Media and Communications degree. I have just finished my second year, achieving a high mark and I am due to start my third and final year in September.

 The Apprenticeship programme gave me a great insight into the world of work and provided me with a job role which was very interesting, varied and challenging. The process also helped me prepare for the commitment and maturity needed to go to University and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. 

 I recommend the NVQ Apprentice scheme to any young person who is interested in finding a job. The experience gained is valuable and will help you develop within the workplace in the future. I'd like to thank E4environment and the Green Achiever team for the opportunity to demonstrate my credentials and would recommend this company to anyone in the future. 

Check out the Green Achiever Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/greenachiever 

No comments:

Post a Comment